Do you want to stop buying breakfast?
You can. By making breakfast ahead of time, you are less likely to run out to the fast food place and buy it.
Porridge is one of the the perfect make-ahead breakfasts you can make.
A warm bowl of cornmeal porridge is an excellent way to start your day.
By choosing to make it ahead of time, it not only saves you from buying breakfast, it also fills you up and keeps you till lunch.
Plus, if it’s only you eating it, you’ve got breakfast covered for a couple days so you can focus on other things you need to do, giving you that much needed extra time in the morning.
I usually make it the night before so when I get up, all I have to do is warm it up either on the stove or the microwave and breakfast is ready in 1 minute!
Here’s how I make it:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 plus 1 cup water, divided
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (or milk of your choice, I also use coconut milk)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- 4 bay leaves (optional)
- To avoid lumps, whisk together cornmeal with 1 cup cold water and set aside.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add in cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and bay leaves (if using).
- Pour in cornmeal mixture, and reduce heat to low, stirring constantly
- Simmer until thick, about 5 minutes
- Add in condensed milk, milk of your choice and vanilla essence (if using).
- Simmer for another 5 minutes or so.
- Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg, serve with fruit and enjoy.
Cornmeal porridge is an excellent make-ahead breakfast choice.
Time and money is saved because you would not be tempted to run out and buy breakfast. You simply heat and eat.