5 Ways To Save Time In The Kitchen
Do you often find yourself spending hours in the kitchen and you’ve only cooked one meal?
Why does it seem to take so long?
As a busy SAHM, I don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen getting dinner ready.
Here are 5 ways I’ve discovered that really help save time in the kitchen.
- Meal Plan – plan your meals. Make a list of meals you want to make for the upcoming week. That way, you know exactly what you’re going to cook ahead of time so you don’t waste time in the kitchen trying to figure out what to make for dinner a few hours before.
- Meal Prep – First, plan your meals (what you will cook), then pick a day (usually Sunday) to prepare the meals in advance for the week. This is the time where you cook food in batches, divvy up for the week and freeze the extras.
Yes it takes some time, but once you’re done, you are freed up the rest of the week. No cooking for the entire week is so worth it and gives you back more time for other things.
- Use simple recipes – Choose meals that are easy and quick to make rather than long, complicated ones that can take a few hours. Simple recipes can taste just as delicious as more complex ones, and often times your family prefers it. So leave the elaborated recipes for when you have more time (ha ha), or for special occasions and holidays.
- Clean as you go – When preparing a meal, as the food is cooking away on the stove or in the oven, use that time to clean and put away any ingredients, dishes or utensils you have used. That way, once the meal is ready, there is no cleaning up to do. You can start eating dinner right away.
- Use your Slow Cooker – Your slow cooker is your friend. Use it as often as you can. If you don’t have one, you should get one. This is a real time-saver in the kitchen. All you do is put your ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning (or overnight) if you prefer and it cooks your meal for you. So dinner is always ready on time. This leaves you with plenty of time to do other things throughout the day.
As busy moms, we don’t have time to spend hours in the kitchen cooking a meal ( nor do we want to).
By using these tips, I have cut my time in half and used the extra time saved for other important things.
Do you have any other tips you’ve tried and would like to share?
Please leave them in the comments below.