5 Tips To Work Smarter (to get more done)
Do you constantly feel like you’re always behind?
Does it seem like you’ve spent hours on a project but only got a little bit done?
If you feel like you’re putting in long hours and you’re still not getting much done,
Here are 5 tips on how to work smarter, not harder so you can get the results you’re looking for.
- Divide and Conquer – break up your work into smaller bite-size parts and focus on one part at a time. When you’re done with one part, move on to the next, etc until you’re done. That way it becomes more manageable and easier to handle. When you’re not overwhelmed by the “big project” in front of you, and only focus on one little part at at a time, you will be less stressed, more focused and get the project(s) done easier and faster.
- Block it out – Choose a time of day when you will work and stick to it. Set a timer and block out any distractions. Turn off the TV, cellphone etc, and give the kids some independent activities so they won’t disturb you. Concentrate only on what you’re doing until the timer goes off. You’ll be amazed at how much you will get done even if its just a few minutes.
- Take breaks – The brain can only handle so much at one time, so avoid spending hours and hours just working. Doing one thing for too long can tire the brain out. Taking breaks every half hour or hour can decrease stress and reduce overwhelm. Try the Pomodoro technique where you work for about 25 minutes, then take a short break (about 5 to 10 minutes) and do something else like taking a walk or grabbing a drink etc. which helps the brain to refresh and replenish itself, resulting in greater creativity and focus. So win-win.
- Get help – YouTube it, Google it, read a book, ask a friend …If you don’t know how to do something, don’t spend all day trying to figure it out yourself. Your time is valuable. There are tons of help out there that you can use that will save you time.
So don’t waste time when there’s help readily available. Take advantage of it so you use your time wisely.
- Prep. Prep. Prep. – Prepare what you’re going to do the night before. Lay out all the things you’re going to need and have everything easily accessible so you’re not wasting time looking for this and that. Prepping the night before enables you to start working right away and therefore maximizes your time and increases productivity.
We all want to get more done. Sometimes we just need to make a few changes in how we are doing things in order to be more productive and work smarter not harder.
So don’t be too hard on yourself. Keep going and you will get there.
Put these tips into practice, and you’ll soon be working smarter not harder.