5 Tips To Get & Stay Motivated to Do Work
You have work to do. But sometimes there are days when you just don’t feel like it.
It happens to all of us. You’re not alone.
We get busy with other things that take up our time and attention and the last thing we feel like doing is work.
Here are 5 tips you can try, to get and stay motivated to get stuff done:
- Break it up – Break up big projects into smaller, more manageable parts. This will keep you motivated because you get to focus on one small part at a time rather than the whole project (which can cause overwhelm and loss of interest).
Completing one part will spur you to move on to the next part, then the next, and so on until you’re done with the entire project with incentive to do more.
- Get & Keep organized – Keep your work area organized. When it is cluttered and disorganized, you can feel very unmotivated to do anything. Getting organized so it is easy to find what you need when you need it will get you inspired to get those projects done.
- Take a break – Try the Pomodoro technique. This is basically where you repeatedly work for a few minutes then take a short break and reward yourself. This is very effective because knowing that after a few minutes you get a reward (like having a drink or checking your phone), you will definitely be motivated to keep working.
- Do a quick project – Instead of tackling a long project that can take a while, try a shorter project that you can complete in a couple hours or less. Do a few more quick projects and not only will you will feel a sense of accomplishment, but before you know it, your motivation will be back.
- Track your progress – I’m a visual learner so a visual representation (drawing or chart) of my progress keeps me motivated. I can see from when I started to where I am right now and how much farther or closer I am to the end. Actual evidence of your progress can be really motivating to start and keep going until you’ve accomplished your goal.
Getting stuff done can be exciting and rewarding. But, Like anything else in life, we sometimes lose our motivation to do it.
Following these 5 tips will help you get your motivation back and stay motivated to do your work.